Historic Theaters & Drive-Ins
Style: Mid-Century Modern
Image by Frits Air
Image from Ricky Rialto
The Plains Theatre in Roswell was the main movie house in town. It opened in 1947. Seating was provided for 1,000 all on a single floor, and there was a small 30 seat balcony, located next to the projection booth, which was for the exclusive use of Negro patrons. It was state of the art at the time with a Cinemascope screen. It was closed in the 1970's, and has been turned into the Alien Headquarters, dealing with all reports of UFO's around the world. Photos of the Plains Theater and three other Corgan-designed theaters appeared in Boxoffice of December 6, 1947. The other houses featured in the article are the Agnew and May theatres in Oklahoma City, and the Boomer, Norman, Oklahoma.
114 N. Main St. | Roswell, NM 88202 | 800-822-3545
mon: 9am-5pm | tue: 9am-5pm | wed: 9am-5pm | thu: 9am-5pm | fri: 9am-5pm | sat: 9am-5pm | sun: 9am-5pm